McLaren House

View on Google Maps

Located on: Blackfriars Road, Waterloo Road

Walking time from St George’s Circus: 1 minutes

McLaren House Halls of Residence at 1 St George’s Circus, Southwark were officially opened in May 1994 and named after Christopher McLaren, the then Chancellor at London South Bank University (LSBU).

McLaren House was established primarily as a student accommodation facility as part of the LSBU complex. The building stands on the site of the former Royal Eye Hospital.

McLaren House is ideally located for students, offering easy access to educational institutions, cultural sites, and transport links.

A plaque on the wall facing Blackfriars Road is in memory of 16 men who were killed at the site in 1941. It reads:

In memory of eleven London Auxiliary Firemen, a Sub Officer of the London Fire Brigade and five Mitcham Auxiliary Firemen, killed by enemy action while relaying water from the basement of the demolished Surrey Theatre, which stood on this site and was then in use as an emergency water supply, to fires at the Elephant and Castle on the night of 10th / 11th May 1941

John William Brazier
John Henry Burch
Cecil Arthur Elliman
Edward Alfred Hollet
James Arthur Johnson
Arthur William Miller
William Bernard Moore
George Richard Norris
William Frederick Parfrey
Harold Charles Parkes
Edward George Pepper
Edward Preston
Ernest Francis Robinson
Edward Henry Smith
Albert Henry Spiller
Alfred Charles Sturk
Colin William Whipps

See inside McLaren House

Who is Christopher McLaren?

Christopher Melville McLaren was a former chancellor of the London South Bank University.